Sunday, June 11, 2006

She's Crafty.

On saturday morning Mum and I were up and out of the house at 6am garage sale hopping. We didnt buy as much as the week before as I was mainly looking for kitchen things this week. We went to a deceased estate at Ascot, a very wealthy area of Brisbane and got:
a small red swallow wall decoration for 10cents, a gold gilded pitcher and tumbler set for $2.00 and a cute 1950s kitten cushion for $1.00. I also got some blue sundae glasses.

We went to another where I got a red 1950's set of scales, a small jesus statue, a 1950s atomic style alarm clock and two pink dessert bowls.
We then went home for a big cook up breakfast after Stevie woke up and went out again at 11 to one of my favourite charity furnture stores St Vincent DePaul. Dad had gotten me two rainbow lustre vases from there on Friday for $2.00 each and two really small nice vases. Mum and I managed to find some really cute buys.
We got a jesus picture in perfect condition for $1.00, a 1950s bunny planter for $1.00, a small table for $2.00 for the patio, two pink depression glass bowls and a small ashtray for $3.50 for the lot,a 1950s lobster serving plate and a palm serving plate for $1.00,a set of three tumblers for $1 for 3,a 1950s japanese fruit bowl,a still boxed small cup and saucer stand for $2.00, yellow pepper and salt shakers for 50 cents and a set of 3 1950s style dips plates for $2.00 for the lot, a set of anodised cups for $2.oo- these go on ebay for like $20! I also got a few other bits and peices.

Today mum and I went to the clayfield markets to get some nibbles for the Queens Bday public holiday tommorow, shes having a bbq with Mal and Di (Di's husband is down for 3 days), Marion Keith and the girls and Stevie, Dad and myself.We then drove out to the house to have a peek and look at Scarborough. Its so nice, I cant wait to move out there, were about 500 metres from the marina and 2 streets away from the beach!The people had a garage sale on the weekend though, which may mean some of the plants we wanted to buy may have gone :( We then went to Bunnings a huge DIY shop and got sandpaper, and some golden oak stain. I sanded down my 1960's day bed and an antique chair I have and then stained them. They look great. Next week I will put a glossy estapol over it next week. I love renovating! The colour I think is a lil darker than the credenza which we will be using as a desk, its in really good nick and I'm not going to touch it. Its more like a honey,about a shade lighter but they will match in well with the gramaphone thats going into the same room.
My Mum is giving us her silky oak dresser which is gorgeous, as I'm swapping a japanese like pryamid tower dresser I have and don't want. I now am on a look out for a marble topped wash stand for the 'antique' room it will go into. At Bunnings we had a really nice lady who showed me all the plants I should have in the front garden. I am going for a sorta cottage garden look with lavender and hydernas in blue and white, a star jasmine climber, and some angelonia carita's which are a winter floor cover which bloom white and purple flowers and maybe some gardenia's aswell.

I spent about 4 hours doing my resume on Friday night, there are about 5 optometrists out in the redcliffe, margate area so I am going to get Stevie to print and post them out for me on Tuesday on one of his three days off! Lucky guy!


2 comments:

Judy Scott said...

omg where to start first, you have been so busy and sound so much more cheerful and excited, your house is going to look amazing when you bring everything together. What is a glossy estapol never heard of that is it varnish?
Your having a holiday for the queens b/day wow we dont get any for her b/day. Youve probably had the bbq by now so hope it was a good one lots of yummy food and company. Do you have a date for moving yet all the family over here are awaiting your address babe, good luck with the cv's hope you hear soon. big hugs and love you soooooooo much Mum Judy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

dotty_scotts said...

estapol is a clear coating to put on yr furniture after a stain similar to varnish which makes it more hard wearing, it also brings out honey tones without making it yellow.
No date as yet for moving as we havent got most of the paperwork, hopefully we recieve it tommorow and we'll go to the solicitor after work. I'm thinking maybe next wednsday it will be completed?
We get a day off now as they wanted to give us one in winter :)