Sunday, June 18, 2006

House update



I've spent the weekend, whilst Stevie has been working doing house things. Yesterday I picked up some of the lovely pink and red cannisters I had on layby up for the kitchen, and it looks better already!
Today my mum and I painted one wall in our kitchen Rose Marble, a beautiful pink colour and I am half way through painting one of the wall shelves pink aswell. It will need about three coats I do believe! But the wall looks great.
On wednsday Stevie and I have the day off and after I have my hosptal appointment for my Oesteoporosis we will go to the house and paint the front room ivory. I hopefully have organised some nice new carpet for the front room as well, a wool loop blend creamybeige with light caramel specks in it. We have decided that we will paint the large green loungue room ivory aswell but that will have to wait until we have moved in, which is next monday! Hopefully on wednsday we will get the front room done and all the doors and the bottom of the walls (under the decorative railings) in the hallway painted ivory and may even have time to do the decorative features on the doors, the heritage red (maroon). At the momment the bottom of the walls are a mango colour and whilst it looks nice, I dont like the fact that half the doors are ivory and red, the bathroom door is green and the doors which go into the laundry and toilet are aswell mango. As we have lovely ivory and maroon tiles in the bathroom and toilet/laundry I think it will look best having uniformity. The green in the lounge is really nice but in such a big area it limits the colours we can use, especially since our couches are an advocado/olive green. Stevie and I will do paint that when we have two days off together. The previous owners acccidently broke the cook top when they were moving and are paying for a new one, I found a lovely stainless steel one today which will match with the stainless steel oven beside it.
After painting the wall and the shelves, (dad was putting up some bolts and fixining the windows whilst we were doing this) I went to mum's and finished restoring the two bedside tables which will go in the 50's vintage inspired room. They are really unusual, I electric sanded them down, then sanded them finely and then stained and varnished them golden oak. We are going over to Mum's for dinner tommorow night, and I will check if they need to be estapolled. I'm really enjoying the whole furniture restoration thing, I have the buzz!
I want a bunnings card, Bunnings is a HUGE diy warehouse over here and in the last two days I have spent $200 dollars there on paint, tung oil for the wooden floorboards in the kitchen, and lovely new maroon shower curtain and a whole heap of sanding paper, brushes, masking tape and rollers.
We will be buying a 10 litre ivory in smooth finish and a 2litre gloss for the doors on Tuesday so theres another$100! Its difficult putting what we want to do on priority! I just want everything finished now!
After we paint the front room, we will hopefully have $200 spare which we can put to the painting of the outside, which at this stage we are looking at arizona white (a creamish) and the heritage red/maroon, and hopefully have that done within the next 3 months. The only white good we need is a tv and we are just getting a relatively cheap one at first which will be transferred to the bar room when we settle in, we dont want to get anything on higher purchase and are going to be doing one room at a time.
I put the cushions for the day bed for the study in to get covered on Saturday the guy was slightly eccentric to say the least, he was a little bit of a pain actually, but we were recommended him from a good antique shop and he is only charging $300 in total. The material is a nice dark cotton twill in navy (the room is going to be painted ice blue:very very light blue) and will have the navy sofa bed, a 1950s golden honey credenza, a small bookcase, anodised eames floor lamps that stevie painted a beautiful light sky blue and silver. The good thing is we both chose the same material for the curtains. I have picked the material for the kitchen, the previous owners left there beautiful big art deco dark wood buffet, we are using that in the kitchen which will be near the pink wall and our pink 1950's table and chairs. I am desperately in love with Fiestaware from the states but cant find anywhere that sells it over here. I would really like the cream and sugar setting to go on the buffett. The kitchen will be quite fun and colourful.
I quite like how our taste in most things margainises most people!
We will take pictures on wednsday.

I just realised that it reads like I havent taken a breathe this whole blog! I went to a small garage sale on the weekend and picked up some great japanese kitchen peices as well as some penguin salt and pepper shakers and an awesome mexican on a donkey salt and pepper shaker, with two pales on the donkeys horns/ears which hold the salt and pepper. it was quite a bargain at $2!
The socceroos play brazil at 2am australian time, lets hope we win!
Some news on my aunty, she is going pretty well, she is in the transplant renal ward and is a little more awake and focused now that she is off the morphine drip, down side is she is in quite alot of pain. She has had two blood transfusions in the last two days and gotten platelets as she is losing blood through the drain from her wound. She was in a bad way last night as she had a problem with her drain, something like the cap was in the wrong way or something and it meant she had a huge build up of blood in her abdomen, Uncle Mal pointed it out to the nurses and when they fixed it a huge gush of blood came out, and they werent happy that it didnt stop bleeding after 2 hours. She was a little distressed this morning and called uncle Mal at 6am and he went up straight away, he goes up at 7am every day and doesnt leave till 7pm, they have such a loving relationship. He has to go back to Katherine I think on Monday/tuesday but he's coming back at the end of next week for another week or two. The weather here is awesome, its cold at night and sunny and brisk during the day we even got a little shower of rain.
When mum and I went to the house yesterday we went to fish and chip cafe on the beach 200 metres from our house, it was so pretty. I think we'll really like living out there, though it'll mean an extra 30 mins of travelling for stevie, the whole place is just so relaxed and clean.

3 comments:

Suzie Q said...

Wow, guys, I can't believe how quickly it's all happening for you now! Moving in next week!! Here in the UK it would've taken ages to sort all the paperwork, etc - what fun for you! All the decorating sounds just gorgeous, and I can't wait to see pictures! :)
I hope your Aunty is stabilising now, Scarlett, and will soon feel better. It must be frightening for her and she sounds like a brave lady...
My very best to you all, and good luck with the move!
Love 'n' Hugs, Q xXx

dotty_scotts said...

Over here we normally have a 14 day contract for finances and building and pest inspections and then final settlement is 14 days after that! Considering we only got confirmation a week ago, we signed the papers on wednsday,put the money in thursday morning at 10 and by about 2pm it was ours! We couldnt pick up the keys until Friday as we got out to the real estate at like 5.05pm on thursday and it was shut, we went and had a look at the house and one of the windows was open, so my mum hoisted me up onto a garbage bin and I broke into our own house, luckily Im relatively small cause it was a tight fit with the antique windows! We got in and discovered they had left us two great big pot plants and two art deco dark wood peices of furniture, one a dresser and another a huge buffett. The couple had a garage sale the week before and Im positive they left the peices for us, as we admired them they day we put an offer on the house.

Judy Scott said...

Scarlett I can not believe how busy you have been, you must pace yourself girl especially with the glandular fever. In saying that though I would be just the same, Jims mum used to say to me Rome wasnt built in a day - I always replied It would have if Id been there!!!! lol the colours sound amazing and your furniture will be perfect. I wish I was there to make curtains for you. The weather sounds ideal and just what you need when your moving house, well, you will have moved everything by now I hope you have internet access straight away so you can get you web cam up for me only joking tomorrow will do he he. Looking forward to fish and chips with you both and to walking all around the neighborhood. Are your neighbours nice? Scarlett how the job situation going babe any word? Hope we can speak soon Love you lots and take care of each other. Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx