Monday, March 26, 2007

High tea and curries.






Have had a few really busy days, On saturday night we went to my Dad's cousin Dot's 50th birthday. It was held at Brighton Leagues social club just past Brighton and it was packed full of people I haven't seen for probably about 10 years! The food was fantastic and plentiful, lots of fried rice, charkai chicken, sweet and sour pork and fish, sesame green broad beans, stir fried vegie noodle dishes. About 70 or so people went including Nan and Pop and my dad's younger Brother Spikey (not his real name!, I think his real name is Kenneth but all I have ever known him is as Spikey), my cousins Markia and her boy Chevy, she is due again in August. Stevie spent alot of time with nan and pop, and thought Dot's brother Aurdi was hilarious. He was bombarded by many relatives (he was one of only a handful of non-new guinean people there) whilst outside smoking, having to deal with bad braveheart jokes. Just before the cake and singing happy birthday alot of the younger girls put on a new guinean traditional dance show with grass skirts on. I had a grass skirt when i was one!


Sunday was spent cleaning and organising for the week, as I had today off. Mum also had today off, so went went into Newstead (near New Farm) where she had to sign over the papers for selling her car! poor Ivy! Mum's getting something slightly smaller. Whilst there we decieded to venture to James st at NewFarm, we visited a traditional Indian supermarket and I spent $40 but bought about 8 curry pastes, 4 huge 400 gram bag of spices, traditional naans, pickles, chickpea dishes and the like. Considering most things were priced at $2-3 each, I bought a whole heap! I am going to make stevie some chicken curry tonight. We stopped by alot of the lovely homeware shops and retro shops but struck big at a shop called Maiocchi. Its mainly japanese like, with amazing structured and quilted dresses all made of Japanese fabrics. It also sells kokeshki dolls, quiled purses, babushkas's just beautiful things! I wanted everything. Whilst there I spied the most beautiful Spencer and Rutherford bag. When I used to work at David Jones I used to drool over there small handmade bags. They now do larger bags as well, and I found the lovely Lulu High Tea which I just had to have! It combined some of my favourite things, cherry blossoms and tea sets! I got it after much drooling and my mum going, you work hard, get it! So I did. I did very well only getting the bag and a babushka keyring. I want to go back and get a lucky cat keyring aswell, but they have opened a shop at the wintergarden in the city so for birthdays and anniversary's I will be sending stevie there! I might get the matching purse one day, its just got cherry blossoms all over it.

Now that I can't get all shoe obsessed, I think it will be my bag collection which will go off tap!


We then headed to Chermside where we did a bit of shopping at big w, I have picked up millions of cardigans for only $20 each which I have been loving and had some japanese curry for lunch. By 1.30 we were stuffed and I came home for a nana nap! Its super windy today, blowing a gale so instead of going for a walk I think I'll put on some music and dance around the house.

Hope everyone is well!

Here are some lovely sites to look at: http://www.spencerandrutherford.com/Collectionnew.php?Type=1#


1 comment:

Judy Scott said...

What an amazing party ~ Stevie was making me laugh telling me all about it the other night, says nan is looking really well! the grass skirts look fabulous. the shops you found sound fab too and I love the bag it has everything you love. Your poor mum she loved that car! what will she get now? I suppose living where she does now she doesnt need anything too big just reliable, give her my love and dad.

Sending lots of love from Bonnie Scotland xxx Mum xxx