Sunday, November 04, 2007

Calamity Jane.




This past week has been hectic for all the wrong reasons, on monday night, I told stevie that I was really really tired at 7pm and I had accidently touched my throat and it was really sore, so I went to bed with a pretty depressing book about the beheaded journalist Daniel Pearl. I had also gone to the toilet about 50 times that day, I have been drinking alot of water since my detox and thought it was just the miracle of detox, but by about 6pm I started getting the uncomfot associated with a urinary infection. Within 10 minutes I was asleep but woke up at 10 freezing cold (despite it being about 25 degrees at night) covered in two doona's and sweating profusely. I couldn't swallow at all and was in so much pain I went and gargled disprin, three times through out the night (i can't stand the taste of disprin, so for me to even think about doing it was quite unusual) and swallowed about 3 nurofen tablets. I still couldn't sleep and watched my alarm clock dreading the stocktake I had to do the next day, thankfully I was able to get into the doctors at my work at 8am, the fact I could barely talk:the receptionist was like, lets see if we can get you in straight away. I was given big big doses of anti biotics for what ended up being a kidney infection :( pain pain pain and acute tonsilitis. The doctor was like, I'm not suprised you cant swallow your' tonsils are three times what they should be and you have hardly any windpipe. Long story short, he gave me a sicknote for 3 days off, I went to work that day and worked from 8am to 10.30 at night stocktaking...nightmare! Had the wednesday off and then had to work the rest of the week because I couldnt get cover. I was behind with work every single day, and like the girls at Lily cottage, Friday brought in the nutters. I didn't have any food or drink until 3pm and at any one time I was trying to do 5 things at once. I brought home 'homework' every day that week when I should have been tucked in bed. I didn't feel better until Saturday, but low and behold today my tonsilitis has turned into a cold!




On saturday, dad picked me up at 5.45 to go up to Nambour for collectorama. We got to nambour super early, so we stopped at a few garage sales. My dad is starting to collect planters like myself, and I picked up two at one garage sale for 50- cents each for his b'day pressie and also a gold glomesh bag for myself for $1.00.

We got to collectorama at 7.30 and there were quite a few people waiting, I had my trusty trolley with me, and they let us in at 7.45 as there was a crowd. I went with $300 and had quite specefic things I wanted, tiki things for my front loungue room, new guinean things for my back deck, planters for my front deck: but as this is over flowing I was being picky!, a hat box for my art deco room, vintage maps for my study and any flamingoes or babushka's. I was also on the look out for red and orange milk glasswear for my 70's green and brown loungue room.


I was a little disapointed overall, Collectorama is good for those who want to do their collecting at one place and not b e bothered with price. I on the other hand enjoy the thrill of the chase at garage sales, and op shops and paying hardly anything! I did get a few bargains: which I unfortunatly can't photo until stevie brings home the camera charger. I actually got most of my things from the one stall~

I got: a miss prissy cat creamer set (funnily enough miss prissy has been my nickname on yahoo and my old email address since i was about 15!) its a cat head japanese 50's milk jug and sugar bowl and is very cute. The guy selling it was really gruff and said his mum collects them. It has a matching teapot which I'll be on the look out for. They are in excellent condition and I was happy paying $20 for it, it will be great for tea parties. The teapot is going for $60us on ebay at the momment, and there are salt and pepper shakers aswell! I want!


I also got a red milk vase and a tiki hawaiian cocktail set from the stall I got everything mainly from: it was all half price and I got the two for $15.00. Most other places were selling the red glassware for $40-50 plus! I have gone to the caboolture markets many a time where they are $5!


I wanted new guinean things for our back deck, I have already two masks from cameroon and two blue clay masks. My dad has a huge lot of new guinean masks from his childhood and it is really collectable now, and he was going to be on the lookout for stuff for me. At the same stall there were masks which ranged from $38 to about $60. I was going to go back after I had checked out the rest of the stall. My dad was pretty funny, he was going around going.....I picked up this from an opshop for 20 cents! My dad and I are pretty alike in alot of ways, mainly with ocd and collecting!


Our hall way is full of vintage religious images, I was given a gaurdian angel picture when I was a baby from my nan which has been in all of the kids rooms when we were young. I had asked mum for it a while back but she didn't know where it was, and weirdly enough I found the exact same picture for $20 which I snapped up.


We went back to the newguinean stall and they were moving/packing them, I was like..ohh no are you getting rid of them? and they were like...are you interested in them? And offered to sell me the whole lot for $50! The whole lot was about 7 masks, a bird of paradise and a statue! I was like hell yea! Then dad came and stood next to me and was like...thats such a good deal and told the lady he was from new guinea and that he had been looking for stuff for me as he wasn't giving up his own stuff. She was very pleased it was going *home* as she said!

I shouted dad some breakfast and we were out of there by 8.30!


We then visited one of his friends at her lovely house at palmwood and met her very cute kittens, one of which was a boy blue point siamese and a lil ginger girl called sissy.

On the way home, we dropped in at two garage sales at north lakes. The second one was at a Christian Missionary....its a place where missionary people who go and build places can come and stay after there work. It was crazily big and crazily good, I got an embroided purse, a black glowmesh bag, another planter for dad, a metal cup which had roses made by the swallow company(i have two tin trays from them) and a magazine all for $2. and then I went into the furniture shed where I got an awesome huge coffee table which is eames like for $5. I am going to contact some furniture restorers about getting a black glass top on it to match another table we have in our 70's room. The coffee table is massively long and has a lovely shelf for magazines. I hyperventilated as it had a display cabinet/wall unit for $8 which was totally out of a mid century modern magazine! It was unfortunatly already sold though and I wanted to cry! It was exactly the right size for our record player and our quickly amassed library of furniture books. I will have to keep looking, I passed one up which wasnt even as nice on ebay a few weeks back for$200 as it was a little too big and would have looked squashed next to our matador bar: but this one was perfect! They are having another sale first week of febuary so I am so there!


I woke up early to walk down to the Lion's markets this morning which have moved to the showgrounds which are on my street, it was boiling hot at 7.15 already and it took me pretty much 40 minutes walking at a fast pace to get there. I was all gross and sweaty but that was forgotten when as soon as I walked in, my friend who does planters had a beautiful bird one for $12 with cactus's already in it and had kept a flamingo ceramic for me. $20 later I had a planter, a flamingo, a bottle of water, another glomesh bag and a tin tray with poinsettia's on it, and a crotchet bag with bamboo handles. I also had the walk home which I wasn't looking forward to, my shoes were killing the back of my feet and I was listening a little too enthusisatically to my new i'river mp player when I went head first into the pavement and smashed my lovely planter into 10 peices! :(

I am a resourcefull lass though and got the superglue out at home and managed to peice it all together and you can't tell the difference! Yay!


I've cleaned the house, done 3 loads of washing and now am ready for a little read of my book. The pictures of miss priss are from ebay. I'll hopefully will be able to post some pictures of my stash tommorow.

1 comment:

Judy Scott said...

Hello my darling, hope youre feeling alot better now, how horrid for you and having no one to cover for you, thats so bad. You exhaust me just reading this post you've done so much, and bought so many goodies now I hope Stevie has bought the charger home so you can upload the pics. I rememeber the day we walked miles ohhhhh it was exhausting in the heat you bought all the memories back!!! I loved it though all the garage sales!! Cant wait to see the new guinean things what brilliant luck to get them. Have a better week darling sending big hugs to you both Mum xxxx